Yes, folks, we are less than a month away from the big day, Walk Run Wag 2016. And wow, we’ve got so much to share as the event nears. Remember, while you can register beginning at 7:30 a.m. on the day of the event, we anticipate long lines and we can’t guarantee your preferred shirt size. Register today to avoid disappointment (and to catch some extra sleep the morning of the race!). Online registration closes at midnight on Saturday, July 2.
You can register as a team or as an individual, but either way you can also set up a free fundraising page that makes it easy for friends, family members, co-workers and other animal lovers to support your participation (just follow the prompts when registering). Get more info about forming or joining a team here: WRW2016 TEAM flyer
Everyone pre-registered: You will be able to pick up your race packet on Friday, July 8, from 3-7 p.m. at MADACC, 3839 W. Burnham St., Milwaukee. Packet pick-up is also available at the event site on race day, beginning at 7:30 a.m., but we urge you to pick up your material the day before to avoid long lines.
Why should you join us for Walk Run Wag 2016 at Wauwatosa’s Hart Park on Saturday, July 9? Let’s count the reasons!
- FUNdraising! Walk Run Wag is a major fundraiser each year to benefit the Milwaukee area’s neediest animals. While we get tremendous support from our sponsors, the event’s success really depends on you and other people in our community who join us on our biggest day of the year. Thank you for being part of the event!
- Pick Your Pace and Number of Paws! Love to run? Great. Do the 5k. Love to run with your dog? Even better! Do the 5k with your pooch. More of a walker? No problem! You can choose a one- or two-mile walk, with or without your dog — and you can even change your mind mid-course! Not a morning person? Believe us, we understand. Pick our sleep-in option when you register and we’ll mail you your shirt after the event, no need to wake up early to join us in person — we know you’ll be there in spirit.
- Prizes! Prizes! The top runners in each category will receive a medal and some sweet prizes donated by a few of our sponsors (trust us, you’re going to want to run fast for these!). And whether you’re a runner or more of an ambler, we’ve got additional prizes for our top fundraisers. Individuals who raise $250 or more get an exclusive, limited edition WRW2016 swag bag that includes a hat, water bottle and other goodies. Top fundraising teams receive generous gift certificates to local eateries — stay tuned for more details.
- Post-race activity AWESOMENESS! From 10 a.m.-2 p.m., we’ve got lure coursing, agility, a photo booth and more, plus appearances by some of Milwaukee’s finest firefighters (we hear they’ll be handing out some kid-friendly goodies and also that, if you ask nicely, they might let you climb on their rig). We’ve got live music from the very fun band Past Midnight and also a DJ spinning tunes — they’ll both keep you moving long after you cross the finish line. We’ve heard rumors that some special guests will be showing up, too!
- You won’t go hungry (or thirsty)! Some of Milwaukee’s yummiest food trucks, including Truckmeister and The Falafel Guys, will be on hand selling scrumptious fare (including vegan options!). Leff’s Lucky Town will be there as well with a beer tent, because Wisconsin. Race participants can also cruise by a finish line snack shack for post-race nibbles.
- Neat-o vendors! We have plenty of local businesses not only supporting us on paper, but showing up to cheer us on! Stop by our vendor alley to check out their range of goods and services. Visit our Sponsor page now to learn more about the businesses and organizations planning to attend. Are you interested in being a raceday vendor? Act fast! The cut-off date to register as a vendor is Wednesday, June 22. Download our WalkRunWagSponsorPacket2016 for more information on how to participate.
- Heroic Rescues (and Adorable Adoptables)! Be sure to stop by and meet representatives (both two- and four-legged varieties!) of several of the Milwaukee area’s most dedicated animal rescue organizations. Learn more about their missions as well as foster opportunities and, of course, animals available for adoption.
- You’ll love the shirt! Have you noticed our new logo for this year? We think it’s a winner — and that it will look great on you when you wear your WRW2016 shirt, included in your registration fee (participants registering the day of the event are not guaranteed their preferred size).
- Family and wallet friendly! WRW2016 is a great event for families. Children can register for free for either the 5k run or the walk, and all of our post-race activities are kid-approved.
- Your body and spirit will thank you! Look, getting up early on a Saturday isn’t everyone’s idea of fun, but when you cross that finish line you’re going to feel great. You’re being active, you’re making a positive contribution to your community, and you’re setting a great example for your family and friends. So well done, you!
Oh, and by the way, don’t be afraid of State Street construction! Yes, there a lot of orange barrels and detour signs in the neighborhood but that’s not going to stop us, so don’t let it stop you from joining in the fun! We’ll be posting additional information about the best places to park as raceday nears.
So, what are you waiting for? Register today and join us at Wauwatosa’s Hart Park on July 9 to walk, to run and definitely to wag!