Less Than a Month Till We Walk, Run and Wag…Especially Wag!
Yes, folks, we are less than a month away from the big day, Walk Run Wag 2016. And wow, we’ve got so much to share as the event nears. Remember, while you can register beginning at 7:30 a.m. on the day of the event, we anticipate long lines and we can’t guarantee your preferred shirt size. Register today to avoid disappointment (and to catch some extra sleep the morning of the race!). Online registration closes at midnight on Saturday, July 2.
You can register as a team or as an individual, but either way you can also set up a free fundraising page that makes it easy for friends, family members, co-workers and other animal lovers to support your participation (just follow the prompts when registering). Get more info about forming or joining a team here: WRW2016 TEAM flyer
Everyone pre-registered: You will be able to pick up your race packet on Friday, July 8, from 3-7 p.m. at MADACC, 3839 W. Burnham St., Milwaukee. Packet pick-up is also available at the event site on race day, beginning at 7:30 a.m., but we urge you to pick up your material the day before to avoid long lines.
Why should you join us for Walk Run Wag 2016 at Wauwatosa’s Hart Park on Saturday, July 9? Let’s count the reasons!
- FUNdraising! Walk Run Wag is a major fundraiser each year to benefit the Milwaukee area’s neediest animals. While we get tremendous support from our sponsors, the event’s success really depends on you and other people in our community who join us on our biggest day of the year. Thank you for being part of the event!
- Pick Your Pace and Number of Paws! Love to run? Great. Do the 5k. Love to run with your dog? Even better! Do the 5k with your pooch. More of a walker? No problem! You can choose a one- or two-mile walk, with or without your dog — and you can even change your mind mid-course! Not a morning person? Believe us, we understand. Pick our sleep-in option when you register and we’ll mail you your shirt after the event, no need to wake up early to join us in person — we know you’ll be there in spirit.
- Prizes! Prizes! The top runners in each category will receive a medal and some sweet prizes donated by a few of our sponsors (trust us, you’re going to want to run fast for these!). And whether you’re a runner or more of an ambler, we’ve got additional prizes for our top fundraisers. Individuals who raise $250 or more get an exclusive, limited edition WRW2016 swag bag that includes a hat, water bottle and other goodies. Top fundraising teams receive generous gift certificates to local eateries — stay tuned for more details.
- Post-race activity AWESOMENESS! From 10 a.m.-2 p.m., we’ve got lure coursing, agility, a photo booth and more, plus appearances by some of Milwaukee’s finest firefighters (we hear they’ll be handing out some kid-friendly goodies and also that, if you ask nicely, they might let you climb on their rig). We’ve got live music from the very fun band Past Midnight and also a DJ spinning tunes — they’ll both keep you moving long after you cross the finish line. We’ve heard rumors that some special guests will be showing up, too!
- You won’t go hungry (or thirsty)! Some of Milwaukee’s yummiest food trucks, including Truckmeister and The Falafel Guys, will be on hand selling scrumptious fare (including vegan options!). Leff’s Lucky Town will be there as well with a beer tent, because Wisconsin. Race participants can also cruise by a finish line snack shack for post-race nibbles.
- Neat-o vendors! We have plenty of local businesses not only supporting us on paper, but showing up to cheer us on! Stop by our vendor alley to check out their range of goods and services. Visit our Sponsor page now to learn more about the businesses and organizations planning to attend. Are you interested in being a raceday vendor? Act fast! The cut-off date to register as a vendor is Wednesday, June 22. Download our WalkRunWagSponsorPacket2016 for more information on how to participate.
- Heroic Rescues (and Adorable Adoptables)! Be sure to stop by and meet representatives (both two- and four-legged varieties!) of several of the Milwaukee area’s most dedicated animal rescue organizations. Learn more about their missions as well as foster opportunities and, of course, animals available for adoption.
- You’ll love the shirt! Have you noticed our new logo for this year? We think it’s a winner — and that it will look great on you when you wear your WRW2016 shirt, included in your registration fee (participants registering the day of the event are not guaranteed their preferred size).
- Family and wallet friendly! WRW2016 is a great event for families. Children can register for free for either the 5k run or the walk, and all of our post-race activities are kid-approved.
- Your body and spirit will thank you! Look, getting up early on a Saturday isn’t everyone’s idea of fun, but when you cross that finish line you’re going to feel great. You’re being active, you’re making a positive contribution to your community, and you’re setting a great example for your family and friends. So well done, you!
Oh, and by the way, don’t be afraid of State Street construction! Yes, there a lot of orange barrels and detour signs in the neighborhood but that’s not going to stop us, so don’t let it stop you from joining in the fun! We’ll be posting additional information about the best places to park as raceday nears.
So, what are you waiting for? Register today and join us at Wauwatosa’s Hart Park on July 9 to walk, to run and definitely to wag!
Everything you need to know before Saturday’s Walk Run Wag! UPDATED
UPDATE: We’ve added several bits of news since posting this on Wednesday…enjoy!
As we gear up for Saturday’s event, we want to take a moment to say thanks to all of our great sponsors for supporting this year’s Walk Run Wag. We couldn’t do the event without them!
We also couldn’t do the event without you, our amazing runners, walkers, volunteers and fundraisers. THANK YOU!
UPDATE: Check out the nifty Walk Run Wag 2014 shirts! Did you register online? You’re getting one when you pick up your packet! Planning on registering on Saturday at 8 a.m. before the event? We’ll have shirts available on a first-come, first-served basis for those who register on Saturday. When we run out, we’ll take your information and get one to you after the event. We will also likely have some shirts for sale after the event even if you didn’t walk or run (or wag) with us. Watch this space for updates.
UPDATE: Don’t forget, Early Packet Pick-up is at MADACC, 3839 W. Burnham St., 4-7:30 p.m. Friday, June 20. And, thanks to American Veterinary Clinic, the first 200 people at Early Pick-Up will get treat bags! Can’t make Early Packet Pick-Up? No problem. Get your racing bib and t-shirt (if you registered online) starting at 8 a.m. at Hart Park on Saturday. Remember: race time for the 5k, humans only, is 9:30 a.m. The 5k for humans with dogs starts at 9:45 a.m. Are you a human without a dog who signed up for the human 5k but want to run with a human friend who brought a dog? That’s fine, but that means you have to start at 9:45 a.m. The 9:30 a.m. start is for humans only. The walk is two miles out and back. Don’t want to do the full two miles? Not a problem. Just turn around at any point. Walk Run Wag is all about having fun and helping animals.
And for folks who’ve asked, yes, there is still time to fundraise online before Saturday’s event. Click here to get started.
Speaking of this year’s event…let’s talk post-race activities! Many of our sponsors are providing extra services and support to make the day even better:
POST-RACE ACTIVITIES (10 a.m. – 2 p.m.)
UPDATE: Post-race activities are open to the public! You do not need to be registered for Walk Run Wag to enjoy them!
Agility: Big thanks to Agility Possibilities, which is donating equipment and time to staff a fun course for your pup for free! Donations are encouraged and every penny will go to help the animals at MADACC.
Lure Coursing: Big thanks, too, to For Pet’s Sake, which will be running a large lure course. It’s $5 per dog, per run (cash only, please!).
Pet Painting: Some folks call it “paw painting,” but we call it a bunch of fun. While You Were Out Pet Sitting will be running the “studio,” with all proceeds going to Friends of MADACC! Thanks, While You Were Out!
Microchipping: On-site microchipping for $20 and tags for $5 and $10. UPDATE: Lost Dogs of Wisconsin will also be on hand to check that your dog’s microchip is in good working order. Microchipping and tags are the keys to getting a missing dog home faster!
Vendors, rescue representatives, food trucks, beverage tents and entertainment will also be part of the fun!
OUR SPONSORS ROCK!
Walk Run Wag 2014 received additional support from these sponsors, many of whom will also be at Saturday’s event, so please say thank you when you see them!
American Natural Premium/Burlo Pet
NEW! Crisis Prevention Institute
NEW! The Lovin’ Oven Pet Bakery
Minnesota Wisconsin Collie Rescue
While You Were Out Pet Sitting Service
See you Saturday!
Online Registration is Closed, but You Can Still Join the Fun!
Online registration for Walk Run Walk 2014 has closed, but you can still take part by registering on the day of the event. We’ll be waiting for you at Hart Park this Saturday, June 21, at our registration table starting at 8 a.m. But get there early: race time is at 9:30!
Day-of registration is $25 for the walk, $30 for the run for adults, but children and dogs register for free!
Did you register online? Don’t forget to pick up your racing bib and t-shirt at our early packet pick-up, Friday, June 20, 4-7:30 p.m. at MADACC, 3839 W. Burnham St. First 200 people at early packet pick-up get a special treat!
And remember, come for the race but stay for all the fun that follows, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., including lure coursing, agility, paw painting, vendors, adoptables and more!
Thanks for supporting Walk Run Wag and Milwaukee’s neediest animals!
It’s the Final Countdown: Your LAST WEEKEND to register online!
Don’t forget, online registration closes 11:59 p.m. Sunday, June 15. Register now and you’ll have more time to relax and plan your Walk Run Wag post-race activities at Hart Park, including:
CHILLAXING to the tunes of MATHEW HAEFFEL, performing live at the bandshell
Browsing our great gathering of VENDORS
Chatting with representatives from local RESCUES and meeting some ADOPTABLES (tummy rubs optional but encouraged)
NOSHING at the on-site FOOD TRUCKS
SIPPING or SLURPING (hey, we don’t judge) at the BEVERAGE TENTS
PEOPLE-WATCHING, only slightly less entertaining than DOG-WATCHING
The long-range weather forecast for June 21, Walk Run Wag Day, is 75 degrees and partly sunny, with 100 percent chance of being awesome.
Walk! Run! Wag! But wait…there’s more!
Come to Hart Park on June 21st for this year’s Walk Run Wag…and then stay for the fun that follows!
From 10 am until 3 pm, we’ll have lure coursing thanks to For Pet’s Sake and Agility from Agility Possibilities!
Want more? We’ve got more!
Get your dog microchipped for just $20! Pick up a new ID tag ($5-10), engraved while you wait!
Still not enough?! Not a problem!
Paw Painting will be provided by While You Were Out Pet Sitting, with all the proceeds going the Friends of MADACC!
What else? Well, how about all the great vendors, sponsors and rescues who will be on hand, including:
American Natural Premium/Burlo Pet
Bark N’ Scratch Outpost
City Pet Market
Fresh Is Best
Fromms Family Foods
General Pet Supply
Golden Retriever Rescue of WI
Mayfair Animal Hospital
Modern Woodmen of America
While You Were Out Pet Sitting Service
We bet all that activity is going to make you hungry and thirsty. Have no fear: a beer and soda tent, as well as a food truck, will be onsite.
So make a day out of making a difference!
See you at Walk Run Wag 2014!
Saturday, June 21st, 2014
Hart Park, 7300 Chestnut St., Wauwatosa – Parking_Map
8 a.m. – day-of registration opens
9:30 a.m. – chip-timed 5K for people
9:45 a.m. – chip-timed 5K for people & their dogs (six-legged run)
10 a.m. – 1 or 2 mile walk for people & their dogs
10:15 a.m. – runners’ award ceremony